Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Anchorage Experience

Well this is Steve. Not something I usually do here is post. After the holidays were over and the snow had melted we headed off to Anchorage. Nicole flew up early in the morning as I had to work that day. Then later on Elliott and I had a later flight that evening. We had a little surprise when Elliott and I touched down. Found Nikki down at the baggage claim area waiting in the car. Low and behold it was a balmy -15 degrees out. Yes below zero and no wind chill involved in that temp. When the wind does pick up it drops quickly to -30 to -45 very quickly. If you have never been in that sort of cold it almost feels as if you nose and throat is burning. Instantly freezing any moisture in the air. It makes our little storm we had back home seem insignificant. Well getting around home is a pain compared to around here. Despite the 3 feet of snow that Anchorage has had the roads for the most part are clear with patches of snow and ice. For the most part we spend all days indoors as you can not stay outside to long. First day I was here I think I had cabin fever or maybe it was all the family was here in the house. Between our family of 4 kids there was the 4 other nephews and our 1 niece. Yes 8 kids and 5 of them under the age of 6. Yikes. Packed house. But we have definitely made the best of it between watching movies, playing games and rotating through the computer games to get every ones fix on there poison of choice. Woke up Saturday morning to a none functioning laptop. WTF. Not happy about that. Spent the better part of the day reinstalling all the software, antivirus and updates. So far I have spent approx. 4 hrs getting it back to normal. I miss my Mac back home. Well we are off to Grandma Susie's for some dinner. We are bring a Lasagna that Nicole and Crystal whipped up. Those two sure can cook. We definitely don't starve that's for sure. Well this is really my first post so bare with me as it may seem a bit sporadic at times!!

1 comment:

Jeff Honeycutt said...

Steve blogging, must've had some time on your hand!!! I can't even imagine it being that cold.